Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Happiness

...is finding joy in the little things. I learned this when I was very young because, well...I had to.

I remember the time when a certain gracious aunt of ours took me grocery shopping. Although she didn't say why, I knew. She asked what dad packed in our lunches. I shrugged. What lunches? We received the reduced lunch at school. I didn't help much, so she just started putting things in the cart.

That's when I saw them...those little bags of chips that all my friends would bring to school in their oh-so-trendy lunch boxes. (When dad did pack me a lunch, it was packaged in a recycled plastic grocery bag...later, he eventually broke down and got me a Beauty & the Beast lunchbox, I think from a garage sale.) I asked if I could get them. I almost begged. She looked like she wanted to cry.

I was so happy and proud to carry those chips in my lunch...perhaps because I wanted to fit in better with my friends. They knew we didn't have much, but they were friends with me anyways. I am so grateful to call them my friends still today.

I told dad how happy it made me to bring a lunch to school. He began packing me lunches from then on. I made sure to give him pointers. He wasn't very good at it, but I think he was happy to do it.

The truth of the matter is that a lot of things which made us happy as a child, makes us happy as an adult. Rolling down hills, eating cake (today, I like mine with a beer), riding bikes, doodling, painting, spinning, dancing, catching fireflies (this may be a stretch, but I like it), being recognized, being praised...I remember the day I asked you to be my matron of honor. You cried. I cried. Your son bumped his head. He later ate raspberries off his fingers...which made me think of one of my favorite movies...and then made me think of dad when we went raspberry picking and it was so hot and he fell in the bushes and cut himself. (which shouldn't make me happy, but it does...it was a little funny and still fun)

Little things...

Speaking of happiness...we got to view our wedding video yesterday. (which we weren't expecting to get until Christmas) It is so special and I can't wait to share. I may have watched it a hundred times, but it made me happy...so, lay off.

To celebrate, I made a cake. It made me happy, and I'll be happier when I get to eat a slice tonight with my love. With a beer to wash it down, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment