Tuesday, February 3, 2015

In response to "God-sized"

I read an article the other day that children with such an imagination as J and O are considered "gifted". I feel like that's a fairly broad term but as their proud aunt, I can certainly attest to both their broad imagination and their vast knowledge of the world...big and small.

God is bigger than all of us. He is everywhere. Although I don't attend church and never truly felt a special relationship with God, I don't doubt His existence. There were certainly times in my life where I've turned to Him and prayed because I didn't know what else to do. This past month being one of those times with Greta's diagnosis of acute cerebellar ataxia. I watched helplessly as my baby lost her ability to walk. And so I prayed. I prayed for her to get better. I prayed that it wasn't this other thing disguised as ataxia. The big C.

There's a saying that there's power in prayer...I don't know if that's true, but I asked all my friends and family to pray for her because I needed that support. I needed her to be ok. And little by little, she got better. It took about three and a half weeks for the ataxia to run it's course, and she started walking again. I felt "God-sized" love from everyone who texted or called to ask how she was doing on a daily basis. This little girl is so loved that it touched me to tears that people cared so much.

I remember when I was little, I was afraid of many things. I told Dad how much I worried about things and how scared I was when he wasn't home at night. He told me to pray about it. Then I got even more concerned that if I prayed about it, wouldn't the devil hear me and then try and stop whatever good God tried to do? Dad smiled and said, "Not if you speak to Him in your thoughts." Then he found the scripture in the Bible which confirmed that the devil cannot hear your thoughts...only God can, which I have to admit kind of freaked me out even more. "What! So, God can hear hear ALL my thoughts!?"

Even today, when I do pray, I pray very privately. In fact, no one would even know it. As far as goals for this year...I'll need to get back to you on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment